Soma Rasa [AU]

Here where all the legends are living!

Moderator: lampard.serg

Soma Rasa [AU]

Postby lampard.serg » 04 Apr 2017, 05:39

LOGO

PHOTO

BIOGRAPHY

Soma Rasa’s deeply refined production aesthetic and beat driven live shows have placed them at the forefront of the Australian electro/breaks scene and landed them in front of thousands across Australia. Formed in 1997 by brothers Bill & Dan Hazard and Shannon Jessop, the trio work at the nexus of breakbeat and electro. Not interested in rehashing the sonic murmurings of their contemporaries, Soma Rasa have etched out a unique niche – they inhabit a sonic realm that’s decisively centered on the dance floor, but free from the cliché that devalues so much contemporary electronica.

HISTORY

In 1997 Paul Curtis quickly signed them to Brisbane’s Valve Records after he saw their first show at The Capitol. Within 6 months they released their first Self Titled E.P featuring two songs recorded at the now legendary venue, The Zoo in The Valley. Igniting instant national attention from Rolling Stone and Triple J, this release quickly defined Soma Rasa as a national ‘live’ electronic act. Attracting some big name tours in the late 90’s, Soma Rasa were quickly holding their own with support slots for Fugazi, Fatboy Slim, Roni Size and Regurgitator.

The live show was in full effect when they were picked up by Moby for his Australian tour in 1999. It was during this highly successful tour that Soma Rasa truly came into their own as a national electro-breaks outfit. ‘Future Of Der Funk’, a limited edition single released alongside the Moby Shows, sold out in a matter of weeks and acted as a catalyst for their debut album.

“I Mix Therefore I Am” arrived in 2000 through Valve/Warners to critical acclaim scoring high rotation on national radio and securing Soma Rasa as one of Australia’s most promising dance acts for the new decade. The 15-track album was hard fueled beats, at times industrial whilst always cerebral and mesmerizing. Joined by Kristian Hernandez, two times DMC champion, the recordings bore the marks of his musical turntable agility.

With the release of On The Run in 2003 on their newly formed label Freefall Records, two more songs were added to high rotation nationally. The summer breaks favorite “I Like It” and the evocative electro/breaks hit “Something Wicked” featuring Miss Brown. The EP’s success and the vocal additions of Kina and MC Handy in the live show set a slate for a fresh and progressive sound to become clear.

In June 2005 Soma Rasa met and recorded with legendry L.A. hip-hop act Digital Underground (Shock G, Money B and Metaphysical) and released the single "Say What You Say". The upshot of the collaboration was a humming electro masterpiece that pays homage to the gritty mood of The Clash’s ‘Rock The Casbah’. Spending 12 weeks in the AIR charts, the track is a true meeting of the minds; DU and Soma Rasa collaborating to devise a pulsing dance floor anthem. Following this release Soma Rasa toured the USA with shows featuring Digital Underground at the legendary Roxy and Key Club on Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles.

DISCOGRAPHY

Albums:

I Mix Therefore I Am 2000

Singles, EP's:

Soma Rasa EP 1998
Future Of Der Funk 1999
On The Run 2003
Say What You Say 2005

MORE INFO https://www.discogs.com/artist/267624-Soma-Rasa
running wild & no skillz
lampard.serg
Постоялец CTF